Pie-in-a-Jar is as exciting as it sounds.
- They’re pies. In JARS.
- They’re so super cute.
- I think they would hold up really well in the mail. Big question is whether they’ll hold up internationally. Now taking domestic and international volunteers to help me test this theory out.
A year ago, I send some normal pie pies (as opposed to pie-in-a-jar pies) to a bake sale in Palm Springs benefitting the school I teach at. You can read that post here. This year, I was asked to contribute again to the same sale. I decided to make mini pies in jars this year after pondering the following key points.
- What’s better than a slice of pie? A whole pie to yourself.
- What’s more socially acceptable than eating a whole pie? Eating a whole mini pie.
- What’s easier to transport than a jar with a lid?…Nothing.
(My points just seem to be rolling out in groups of three this evening.)
This post from Our Best Bites provided me with some inspiration, and even comes with some rather adorable labels to top your jars with. It’s worth checking out if you’re interested in making your own pies-in-a-jar. For my part, I did what I usually do…read some blog posts on the subject at hand, then decided not to follow any of the recipes after all. So, in all accuracy, I probably couldn’t replicate these exact mini pies ever again.
(Awkward silence as you ponder how unhelpful of a blog writer I really am…)
I made two types of pies-in-a-jar; a pretty basic apple pie with lots of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon and lemon zest) and a pear and mixed berry pie (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, almond extract).
I love how they look here, all packaged up and ready to travel!
Have you ever tried baking pies (or anything else) in a jar? I would love to hear:
- Stories about YOUR mini pie experiences, or questions about mine.
- Interest in being a mail-tester for a pie-jar (depending on the number of comments I receive, I’ll put your name in a drawing.)
- Which of the two above flavors you would have purchased had YOU attended the bake sale?